Fees for our services
The services we offer and the cost to provide them differ depending on what role the Māori Trustee has with your trust.
Where the Māori Trustee is responsible trustee
Base trustee fee
This is an annual fixed fee paid from trust funds. This fee covers routine trust services required to carry out the role and responsibilities of a responsible trustee. These services include:
- Trust administration and reporting (including through My Whenua where applicable)
- Meetings of owners
- Annual accounts and tax preparation
- Trust reviews
- My Whenua access
These fees are generally invoiced to and paid by the trust in June each year.
The base fee is $1,475 per annum per entity
Property management fee
Where the land is leased, a percentage of the rental received is payable for our property management services for the trust. This amount is calculated as a commission set out in the Māori Trustee Regulations 2009.
As this is a service provided to the trust, the commission is payable by the trust. Sometimes however, the lease permits that this amount is able to be collected directly from the tenant.
The property management services we provide include:
- Advertising properties for lease
- Negotiating and setting up new leases
- Rental collection
- Rent reviews
- Lease renewals
- Regular property inspections to ensure the whenua is being looked after
The commission is set at 7.5% of the gross rental received
Other trustee services
Additional meetings: $520 per meeting
This is charged for advisory trustee meetings and for any owner meeting held beyond those scheduled for the trust, as required by the trust order. For example, if the trust is scheduled to hold one meeting of owners in a year and holds two. The additional meeting fee will also apply to any meeting requisitioned by owners or directed by the Court.
Advisory trustee change administration: $198 per hour
This is for work associated with the appointment or removal of advisory trustees.
Distribution administration fee: 2.5% of the gross value of distribution
This is for managing the payment of a distribution to owners.
Where the Māori Trustee is acting as agent
The responsible trustees for your Ahu whenua trust may request us to provide some agency services for the trust. The services provided need to be agreed and set out in the agency services agreement, commonly known as a Service Level Agreement (SLA).
The following are some of services we may agree to provide, each of which has a fee that is charged to the trust:
- Property management services
- Management of payments to owners
- Financial services and tax agency
- Managing owner records
- Arranging and providing support for meetings of owners
- Trust compliance costs
- Development of an Asset Management Plan or Farm Environment Plan
To find out the cost for these services, please kōrero with the Kaituitui Tuarā Taonga (Trust Coordinator) for your trust.
- Fees and commissions above are charged to the trust account unless stated otherwise.
- All figures exclude GST, which is also payable.
- Fees also exclude disbursements such as court application fees, which will be passed onto the trust at cost.
- Incidental costs for meetings (such as catering and venue hire) aren't included in the above fees and will be covered by the trust.